Saturday, February 25, 2006

Overzealous homeworking leads to no homeworking at all...

First I was reading some more stories and got curious about soy sauce. Wikipedia loves me. Then I linked to MSG from there. It still loves me. I also found a tamari company TO LOVE ME FOREVER.

Thennnnn, even more ridiculous right? I'm trying to decide what I want to do next (and mostly trying to avoid my history text book...just so non-fiction...not my groove at the moment) and so I say, "hmm I should review Japanese" but I guess I didn't REALLY want to review, because I went to the voiceblog I like and listened to today's ep which was about potato chip flavors, clam chowder in particular. I followed a link to a potato chip website and was surfin' around reading random potato chip descriptions (not understanding more than a word or two here and there) when I found a sentence that was mostly readable AND contained some kanji I knew. Except (of course) it wasn't a compound I'd ever seen before. I looked in my kanji dictionary, on Jim Breen's WWWJDIC Server, and then I guessed the reading and looked in my useless pocket dictionary. No go. Then I wrote this SUPER LONG e-mail to my teacher in Japanese, painstakingly describing the entire process of how I got to this kanji and then asked her what it was. It was the exact moment I finished typing the question mark that I realized I should try Breen's again with the hiragana reading I guessed before. IT WORKED. I found the answer. I decided to still send the e-mail and see if my Japanese was even worth the time it spent to write it haha (I explained that too.) Hopefully I'm not the most annoying student in the history of the world!!!

I think I just had three or four hours of tangents. Never did read that history...good thing it's only Saturday ;p

No comments: