Friday, January 27, 2006

Some Thoughts on Group Work

I think math is definitely a one person game. At least, for me it is. That is probably why I like tests so much; it's individual. I don't mind comparing answers or whatever, that is fine, but our teacher complains if we're not talking constantly while trying to calculate, and that just doesn't work for me. I want to be immersed in the figures. The problem is a tunnel, and until I come out the other side, I don't want to be bothered.

I sort of wish I could tell my professor this. It's not like there's going to be a way out of group work, but I honestly can't concentrate when my groupmates are all, "So what are you multiplying? How do you get x? B-hat one is 3.86 right?" I just want to be left alone. Plus, I really like like knowing that I'M the one who figured it out. In a group situation, that means that you have to be the fastest one (which for me is impossible due to the aforementioned distractions unless everyone else in the group is braindead.)

Really, I suppose, it's not only math that is like this. I don't mind collaborating on projects, but I like it better if it's something where we all go off and do our own thing and then combine. Brainstorming is cool, but I like it when we have time to think on our own and then discuss.

Tests ALWAYS rock. There's nothing cooler than relying on your own knowledge to get you through something, especially if you can get through well. (Technically, it's even cooler if you can apply it to a real-life problem, but a test is like a simulation.) Next time I need to remember to double check my math quiz. I haven't done math in so long that I sort of forget what I should be doing sometimes.

*sigh* So yeah, frustration in math. I reviewed a ton of Japanese this morning though, so that was cool. Gotsa jam out now, though...

1 comment:

BadMonkey said...

I've always thought that math is a solitary pursuit as well. I mean, occasionally I'd want to ask from some sort of pointer if I was stuck in a dead end, but generally, particularly for very complex stuff, the thought process can be so involved that stopping to explain what you're doing to someone can kill it stone dead, and you'll never get it back again!