Wednesday, January 25, 2006

JLit Etc

TALES FROM THE UJI COLLECTION

The first of these I read last semester in EAC. We discussed the fact that if this were a European story gold would've poured out instead of rice. The rice marks it as distinctively East Asian. We also mentioned how alarmingly unfilial the kids in the story are, to be making fun of their G-ma.

It's really sort of frightening how the other lady (who purposely breaks the birds backs to nurse them to health) goes kind of insane at the end and doesn't even realize that creepy crawlies come out of her gourd instead of rice. o_x

The other story was REALLY bizarre. I totally love this stuff though. The Flying Storehouse! All I can say is: thoroughly awesome. Dude sends his begging bowl flying around to collect for him. Does that take intense powers of concentration or just massive laziness? I guess we'll never know.

THE CAPTAIN OF NARUTO

Ridiculous! I would probably cry too, if I were her. Or I'd just be, "Screw the emperor!" and run off somewhere heh. That's not cool at all.

One thing I found really funny is that she is smarter than he is. He never gets her allusions! It makes the story sadder too, because she's being preyed on by this guy who has standing, but not much else.

No comments: