Saturday, January 21, 2006

More JLit (I should probably mention that any of these Lit posts contain spoilers...)

YUUGAO (Evening faces! I read this last semester ^_^)

I still don't understand why she ahd to go die. Also, the first time I rea dthis, I think I took his defilement as havin ghad an affaire. I suppose it really has more to do with the fact that she was dead. Pollution! >_<

It's nice of him to take in Ukon and offer to pick up the kid. At least he has a good sense of responsibility. Genji's sort of a crazy guy...

In East Asian Civ we talked a lot about the poetic sensibility tha the world has sort of lost. I mean, maybe some people still appreciate poetry, but it's certainly not a daily part of most people's lives or a necessary skill. Back then you were expected to be able to whip up a poem for pretty much any occassion. PRESSURE! It made for pleasant converstaion though. "Jeff's car broke down and he was like, 'Damn! Now what'" seems very high energy and roudy in comparison to...something more poetic that I don't really have the talent/inclination to produce ^_~ Probably though "broke down" would be some metaphor and blah blah blah...

THE PILLOW BOOK OF SEI SHOUNAGON

Quite entertaining. Some parts of Genji were funny, but this is totally different. Very light and energetic. I love how she daydreams about the bachelor and his "adventurous disposition."

The second section kinda makes my point about the poetry. Totally on the spot!

Also: how adorable that the Captain chases them down the road ^_^

No comments: