Wednesday, January 11, 2006

o_o *the Animal Crossing surprise/horror noise*

SCHOOOOOOOL.

It comes.

I'm looking forward to it actually. Just ordered all my books. Soon the post office at UOP will be inundated with tiny little one-book packages from all over the country for me. I was trying to be savvy and order used online XD It worked pretty well though. Didn't spend NEARLY as much as I would've otherwise.

Which is sweet.

Anyhow, tingling anticipation of Japanese everything: modernization, lit, language. I've been reviewing a bit. I have this problem of wanting to read worthwhile books, so I end up standing around looking for "the best one" for eons. Inevitably I end up picking something that isn't really as useful as I would have liked and being disappointed. This is the case with Japan: The Story of a Nation. I just wanted to go over the traditional period again before we hurtle into the later Meiji Revolution *jumps up and down* (I am an impatient five year old...)

This break was really too long. Luckily I had the ecstatic option of coming to Frisco (sorry, that is the one nickname for San Francisco I like...I know some people hate it or all of them or whatever, but to me, the "isco" is the best part of "San Francisco" and crunching "Francisco" down is just...really...attractive.)

I was thinking the other day, though, about how this compares to studying abroad in France. It's the same sort of limbo: a situation that is mostly good, but also very surreal. I'm here with Scott living in Frisco (basically), but it's only for two weeks and I don't have a job or classes. I just chill, study, read, library, game, internet. I eat peanut butter. You know? It's really just like when I was in Paris. It was a sweet but totally unreal scenario. Unsustainable and stagnant. School will propel things FORWARD which is definitely the best way to be moving.

For a while it was really odd because I felt like at the end of the two weeks everything would end. That (hopefully) isn't the case at all heh, but it was this weird impending chapter break. School won't KILL anything though, on the contrary it will probably bring a lot of motivation and momentum into things. I'm feeling really good :D

To change topics, Scott and I have been playing old video games, which I totally love. This morning we ran around in Gauntlet until he had to go to work. I remember playing a crummy 3D remake, but this was the groovy original. I kinda wish I had the nostalgic aura there, but I don't. : / Anyhow, I'll be content with appreciating it now :D

In a way, it sort of reminds me of the French auteur theory guys who, after the war, had whole libraries of American films to watch and so could systematize things, find themes and patterns. I kinda wish I could inject some rhyme adn reason into my retro game exposure.


This, in turn, reminds me of something I used to think about more. I had a friend whose mom once told me I had an old soul. She thought I probably should've been born in the '40s. I always replied, "Why stop at '40s? I want to reMEMber that so maybe the '20s, but then it'd be pretty sweet to be coming of age then, so maybe just turn of the century or the teens or..." etc. Really though, I think it's more exciting to be here looking BACK. I like the concentrated content. Also having the past while cruising into the future. A more futury future than the '50s ne. (Altho that was pretty damned futury for a while ne? What do we call that now? Is that like retro-future?)

Ok...enough enough. I can ramble some more later, but right now I feel like going out and doing some stuff. I have a list of tasks to undertake today and it seems of REASONABLE length so I'd like to actually like to actually conquer the thing. XD

No comments: