Saturday, January 21, 2006

Batch 2 of the Boring

Is it? Probably.

*speeewwwwwwww*

KUUKAI AND HIS MASTER (gives up on the bar-inserting)

This, I supose, has more historical merit than anything. It's got to be pretty tough to be "the receptacle of the esoteric teachings." I have enough trouble bein ghte receptacle of a few hundred kanji : /

My favorite part isthe very end when the abbot says, "If I am reborn in Japan, this time I will be your disciple." He's a ghost there, right? It's really cool, the mutual respect they have.

THE TALES OF ISE

So, this Narihira guy seems to think himself quite a catch XD Is this all he does? Spending his time pining away for girls (and even stalking them?) Reminds me of Genji.

KOKINSHUU

"Melancholy" definitely works here. really sad stuff. I guess pining, longing, and waiting, generally in vain, are just the collective pasttime. I esp like Sakai no Hitozane's about "the vast heavens." That's one's cute. Also Soujou Henjou's about the weeds growing while...oh...yeah-- WAITING.

THE TOSA DIARY

"For your sake I left Kyoto, and journeyed here to meet you-- I journeyed in vain if I cam but to lose you." [That is the cry on so many levels.]

"there were more peoms, by others, but apparently none of them was particularly well constructed." LOL XD I love this casual, off-hand critique stemming from nowhere. Just "apparently" to no one in particular.

I really enjoy the fact, for some reason, that htey all "...dis-embarked onto the beach, and ...talked to each other of the sorrows of parting." It's so coool everyone was so willing to share their feelings. Nowadays you're made to feel like a wimp or a wet noodle or something if you want to express any emotion.

*21st day: "the hour of the Hare" ?_?

More dead children. Isuppose it was a fairly common occurrence back then (no less sad.) Funny that the author doesn't remember her as being so sweet as some others do though, heh.

POETRY FROM THE SIX COLLECTIONS

The last two lines of the last poem were my favorite: "The end of autumn is in/ The color of the last leaves." it's sort of obvious tha tthe changing of the seasons is very important to the Japanese, but the feelings that get injected are really intense. The same kind of sadness and longing for a lover applies. I also really like Japanese nostalgia. I guess that's another thing I got out of the lines above. The priest has obviously been watching autumn leaves for long time.

It's weird to have nostalgia for things entirely beyond the realm of your experience. When I was in Paris I saw Kié La Petite Peste which, I'm not sure what the original title was, but htere was one scene that took place at a carnival or something in the summer. The story took place kinda back in the day a bit, the sun was setting. You find yoursel fpractically crying over the happiness @_@ I guess lots of people can relate to a nice summer evening, but still...

KAGEROU NIKKI

Even thought it was more acceptable there/then than here/now to have affaires, it's obvious that it still hurt a lot of people's feelings.

I feel really bad for their son, having to act as go-between for his parents. And then when he's all upset Mom tries to "...distract him by ridiculing his weakness." Ouch. I guess that's just how they did things though...

(What was "the expected defilement?" Did she get her period or something? I guess that makes sense [blood] but she really had to leave the temple?)

It's weird how their inner reflections seems o genuine and sincere, while their interpersonal contact seems pretty fake at times. or maybe it's just that Japnese idirectness on is always hearing about ;p Maybe too, it depends what mood I'M in.

I don't like her husband very much. It's sorta sad when he conceds that, "It might not be easy for me to visit you there." It was pretty blatent already that he didn't care anymore (except he way it would look if this lady attached to him was off being a bit too pious at a temple) but that was just added salt.

-------

Coming soon: Yuugao! ;p (i.e. déjà vu from last semester)

No comments: