Tuesday, March 07, 2006

My Exciting Documents

These past couple days have been a flood of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) pick-ups. Of course, that's a good thing. I was starting to get the impression they would never come in and I wouldn't have much of a bibliography.

I'm really excited about them though. Two or three are these slim, scholarly-looking volumes by the "Japanese National Commission for UNESCO." The one that came in today is particularly pertinent, being, "The Making of Compulsory Education in Japan." That IS my topic. It's so beautiful! I suppose I just feel like they look really impressive. One of them is falling apart a bit; another is in this sort of cardboard binding so it WON'T fall apart. They're just paper.

I did get one actual book in so far. I know there are books here at the library that I don't have to order out for too. That's sort of a relief because ordering out means you have to be done with them in a timely fashion and then you can't go back and check anything. You have to take all your notes (and good ones!) at once and when you send it back, it's sent back. It was almost a mistake to order all these things at one time, because now that I've received them all, I need to be finished with the whole bunch by the end of the month.

A couple of the sources I ordered were articles, SCHOLARLY articles. (I like that word, but hey, so does my professor when describing what should be in our bibliographies...) These add kick to any bibliography. The only downside is that when you order them ILL, they are copied and you have to pay a fee. Only a dollar, but sometimes that can add up.

I'm eager to start reading this stuff, but unfortunately I need to get my Yukio Mishima paper finished first, and it's slow going so far... Should go read...more...

1 comment:

Xavier said...

Hooray for you! :D

I'm playing Tales of Symphonia. I'm only 1 or 2 hours through, but it's so much fun!