Monday, April 02, 2007

Creepy Little Toaster

When I was a kid I never noticed how creepy The Brave Little Toaster was. Having watched it again this weekend with the boy (who was horrified) I picked up a lot more of the horribleness. Like the junkyard scene at the end where everything is "worthless" or the how nasty the used parts guy is. If you take a bit of a cynical eye to the thing, it's really a pretty unsuitable thing to show little kids :D On the otherhand, you'd have to be one intelligent and depressed child to feel worthless at such an age... Kids are generally more resilient than outdated automobiles, at least one would hope.

I was thoroughly annoyed by most of the characters. The toaster is really andro and motherly, which is just sort of sickening. Lampy whines too much. The blanket is cute, but also sort of creepy in his extreme devotion to the MASTER @_@ @_@ @_@ My favorite character is the radio because even though he's obnoxious and always rambling, there are some cute references and funny asides.

Watching this made me think of Fern Gully, because that was a movie where the horribleness was very apparent. The nasty pollution villain actual creeped me out. He sings that one song >_< Arrgh. In fact, that's really most of what I remember from that movie, that and when they covered him in a tree at the end...

1 comment:

Xavier said...

Didn't they make a sequel to The Brave Little Toaster? Like The Brave Little Toaster Goes To Space?

oh yeah...they did... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147926/