Monday, July 25, 2005

Turning 20 and a new room

So my birthday went well...out at G-ma's house. The best cake in the universe, homemade ice cream...I didn't swim. Actually I've been in a bit of a moody thing all weekend. E-mail from A is a definite high spot tho!

Tomorrow the plan is to check out the pool up at campus before heading to my class. Altho I also have to make sure that I am still ENROLLED in the class since I'm a loser who forgot to pay. Surely they would rather have me pay late than lose 718 dollars tho...

Cinder (the tan cat) wants to have sex with Monkey (the tan spotty dog) even tho he is neutered, which Katelyn/Kathleen (have to figure out which is right...I've heard both) finds alarming. Gotta love my house! I have keys and everything tho. My room locks and all that. The bed is bigger than I'm used to which is a plus. My mom DID however, feel the need to buy me new sheets. Which is fine. But its' just money ne...more money. They are super hot tho. Blue stripes on white...IT GETS NO BETTER.

I do so enjoy blue.

:D

France spoiled me into liking my own place. Really, having your own bathroom and your own kitchen(ette) is so wonderful. Any mess you make is your own so if you don't make one there is none!!! Amazing! This house seems like a pretty clean place. They have extra zeal for keeping things spic and span. I guess the place is vacuumed everyday. Let's hope they have the same enthusiasm for mold and fungi as they do about the animal hair!

So Describing Language has introduced me to some rival theories (ah! heat lightning!) to Noam Chomsky's deal, which has been interesting. I should try not to be so distracted when I read now...so I could remember more about them. It's important to investigate all angles ne? It really goes to show tho, how important it is to find those angles tho, because last year I was really having a hard time imagining plausible possibilities that would make as much sense as UG.

Hmm lightning is kinda creepy >_< href="http://matesofstate.com">http://matesofstate.com

definitely that...go listen. they are amazering!

golden tomorrows for everyone! on the house! (that was my pre-sign-off optimism...which has now been destroyed of course ;p)

other than that...just mentioned that i haven't gotten any business e-mail back yet...from Bandai for instance...and that Milwaukee makes me happy and I wouldn't be disappointed if things would work out at UWM. There is plenty of time I think...hope...whatever lol

Oh and I mentioned swimming and class and coffee at Espresso Christoph (EC) where I will maybe inquire after a job...I bet they're fine tho. They just opened. Why would they open with holes in their staff? Danno...doesn't hurt to try.

Busy is best! That was the other wisdom I had to offer...everyone. Which is why I will also ask about textbook recording...and try to keep up my French. One of my housemates wants me to teach her. I'm not sure if she was serious about "hiring' me but wow if she did that would be cool. lol

OK

that is it...i shall now attempt once more to save...and it had better work ;p

1 comment:

pacatrue said...

Hmmm. As I am very much not a Chomskyite, I had to notice your exposure to alternate theories. If you want I can try to make some recommendations. But other than Japanese, what ya into linguistics wise? I guess syntax at least. Hmm syntax is so not my thing, but I could try anyway. Couple new books coming out, one is O'Grady's Syntactic Carpentry. Haven't read it yet, but generally he is a good writer. He is usually a fairly theory-neutral kinda guy, though he once was a UG man. Now he is exploring the emergentist syntax theories. Then there is Michael Tomasello's Constructing a Language, I believe. It's more about acquisition, but I think focuses on syntax pretty well. They are both on Amazon for around 20. I should be getting to them this semster, as I am going to take a course in language acquisition, where the format is the prof takes a hard line Chomsky approach, and we are supposed to find an alternative and represent it. Then we go at it for 15 weeks.

Paca