Wednesday, July 27, 2005

this in...yesteday

My linguistics class is sort of boring. The title of the class IS misleading. Why can't they just call it sociolinguistics? Language and Society (or whatever) makes it sound so tame...which I guess...is why it's called that. This class seems very tame. Very basic. I feel like having taken sociology and intro to linguistics that I know the stuff we've covered and that anything new will not really be THAT new. The teacher is a nice enough guy...chipper German fellow. It seems tho that we will be having minimal lecture time and more working on these projects that don't really seme to warrant nine in class hours to put together. My partner and I have to present the work of Susan Gal in Oberwart. Ho hum. I guess they speak both German and Hungarian. This will be a trip to the library and some reading. Also there are no assigned textbooks but then he gave us one or two we could look at if we wanted. I hate that! I mean I guess it's nice if we don't have to buy it, but if it's something that a linguistics major should have...but then most everyone it seems is there as a senior or gradstudent just trying to get out of school.
In other news I talked to my housemates and they are pretty cool. Kathleen (OR Katelyn as I discovered today...I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled but apparently it looks just like Katelyn but is pronounced Kathleen cuz it's Gaelic? She uses Katelyn as her stage name...) is an actress who was hired by American Players or whatever is out in Spring Green for six months but she got there and they decided they didn't want her after all...which seems mean. So she's here still because she gave up her apt in NYC. Amz is short for something like Amizolie (and ie in that African language is an o? or something?) and she used to be a professional cyclist. She said she went to Japan when she was nine... I guess I don't know too much about Victoria except that she is an obsessive cleaner cuz her parents owned a restaurant...lol. Everyone is cool once you get to know them.
So I didn't go for coffee yesterday but I definitely will today. Instead yesterday we had rice ice cream...is that Rice Dream? I dont' remember the name...carob (careb? how do you spell that?) and almond...yum yum...and no sugar...it's just the rice that makes it sweet or something. AND THEN so Katelyn is working on this treatment of a movie she wants to get made and she had us all read it. I guess I shouldn't say too much but we found some bugs so she is reworking things a bit. It's sort of sappy the way it is now but I think that might be because the treatment has to hit all the big emotional spots (it's only 22 pages...) and doesn't have time for more of the adventure-y things...
I guess to go back to the no sugar thing...I tried the ALL PEANUTS peanut butter today. I dont' remember which brand. You have to stir it up and stuff cuz the oils aren't hydrogenated (yes!) lol and there's no added sugar. So at first it tastes very bland compared to what you think of normally when you think of peanut butter (and when your tongue is EXPECTING peanut butter) but it's really not bad. Plus it's wayyyy healthier :D
Yeah I think I may have accidentally gone overboard on the shopping. I bought meat and cheese for sandwiches but also hommus and...bananas...peanut butter...and then salad too...and pasta. Of course the pasta can wait until I eat the other stuff too I suppose. And now I looked at the bread that mom bought me and it says best if used by july 31 on it which for all intensive purposes is like tomorrow you know? how do i eat a whole loaf of bread in four days? i don't i guess...i dunno. i guess if it's not rotten its' ok right? i dunno. should i freeze it and just have toast from now on?
food is so complicated!
i also have carrots...
it's hard to eat everything on time. >_<
uhmmmmmm what else...nothing i guess...class in an hour, then coffee and japanese...
i feel like my japanese is dying...
probably cuz it is...
everyone else says they dont' remember anything either...
but that doesn't make me feel better cuz i want to be better than that!!! X_X
grr
so i'll go have mocha and study :D

No comments: