Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Curry Bar Shubell

I feel a little better tonight. Having dinner with a friend parted the angst-infested Red Sea of my consciousness. That's really what it feels like. I can sense all the stress still there, but it's like I'm in mysterious zone.

We went to Nishiogikubo, which, maybe the neighborhood was also comforting. Nishiogi was my sanctuary back when I was on my big long Twitter business trip. There's really no reason for me not to go there more, except that now I have places in my own neighborhood that serve as go-tos, I guess.

Anyways I had been following Curry Bar Shubell on Twitter for a while and always meant to go so it was really nice to finally get the chance. To be honest, the flavor of the curry itself was not ultra unique, but they seem to be very particular about the ingredients, special chicken, fresh veggies. I really like that. The main thing that set the curry itself apart was that it had cartilage? I guess? in it. I forget what you call it. Like parts of the chicken that crunch in a really satisfying way and taste good. I'm still not a huge fan of the fatty bits, but those crunchy joint bits are great.

We also had cream cheese potato salad, but it had some kind of maybe vinegar bite to it, too.  As far as potato salads go, pretty tasty.

I had been thinking I would get away without drinking, but I gave in — using the easy excuse of it being a while since I had seen this friend — and had a beer.

My friend told me about some trips he had been on recently that inspired him to take a more open approach to his passions. Basically, by sharing what you care about and focusing less on competition and more on community building, you can maybe create a more balanced way to live out your dreams.

This reminds me of something I used to think about sometimes. I wonder what I would have ended up doing if I lived in a time when the world was less global. Like, it is extremely unlikely that I would have been a translator in the 1800s. I guess part of the reason this thought exercise is hard (impossible) is that women didn't do anything back in the day except have babies and be wives. I guess I would have been a wife. Now that I think about it, that is probably how this ended last time, but anyways...

the main point was more that, in a small, local community there should be no need for a translator. Maybe I would have become a teacher. 

Tangents back to the side, uh, I guess I just wanted to be happy about some things today since I've been having a rough time lately:

1) I finally went to that curry spot.
2) I had dinner with a good friend.
3) He brought me souvenirs from his trip! One of them is a book I will read soon.

No comments: